Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

17 April 2017

France & Germany 2017 - Day 5 / Colmar & Strasbourg

Steps today: 23 958 / almost 16km.   By the time I get up to turn off the lights, it will be at 24.

We spent the morning in Colmar – very nice city, worth the detour to see it’s charms, but I think a half-day is sufficient to appreciate it.

A few people I know have RAVED about the place, but I don’t see what they see… Yes it’s cute and quaint and pretty and charming but I maintain it’s lovely enough to spend a few hours wandering about – if the weather is nice enjoy a meal outdoors – but that’s about it.  I would not use it as a home base.

IMG_1502

La Petite Venise, Quai de la Poissonnerie (3)

La Petite Venise, Quai de la Poissonnerie (2)

IMG_1526

IMG_1529

IMG_1537

IMG_1507

We enjoyed a lovely morning and left around noon to be back in Strasbourg for lunch.  Yet again we benefited by the location of our hotel being so perfectly situated between the train station and the Old Town so we were able to stop off and shed some layers before embarking on our afternoon adventures. (It’s cold in the morning, and melty hot in the afternoon sun)

Back in Strasbourg we started with an outdoor lunch in front of the the Cathedral, it was amazing. We found a restaurant with outdoor seating and I swear I had the best seat in the house! A full-on unobstructed view of the Cathedral, it was magnificent!!! Who cares what I ate - what can beat this view??

Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg (26)

I had a Tarte Flambée, the local speciality, it was really nothing special – I didn’t care for it that much either when I first tried it during our 2011 visit.  

7. Lunch on Saturday at Le Balsamo (2)

I much preferred the local WINE speciality! Gewürztraminer. More specifically the Vendange Tardive which is sweeter and is typically a dessert wine. (It reminds me of Sauternes which you know I LOOOOVE! Long live Nobel Rot)

7. Lunch on Saturday at Le Balsamo (3)

After lunch, we visited the inside of the Cathedral.

Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg (27)

Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg (31)

Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg (38)       Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg (37)      

Then, onwards to check the last thing off my Strasbourg to-do list: The Storks!

There is a Stork Park in the Orangerie, and a multitude storks nests all around the park. 6 years ago, I caught a glimpse of a wing from the tour bus and ever since I’ve been wanting to come back and see them properly! It was a success and the walk there was very pleasant with lots to see on the way.

Église réformée Saint-Paul (3)

IMG_1568

Bibliothèque nationale et universitaire de Strasbourg

IMG_1562

IMG_1572

IMG_1575

IMG_1585

IMG_1579

From there we walked over to European Parliament…

European Parliament (1)

European Parliament (2)

… and then it was time to find café and escape from the heat! It was 22C when I checked – too hot for me!! Plus: any excuse for more Gewürztraminer Vendange Tardive Winking smile

8. Drinks on Saturday at Café Brant (1)

We relaxed with a few drinks for about an hour, and then once we cooled down we continued back to the Old Town for dinner.  Perfect weather for eating outside, AND we found another resto with a full-on view of the Cathedral, AND they had crepes with cervelat on the menu. win-win-win.

Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg (40)

9. Supper on Saturday at La Cigogne (2)

9. Supper on Saturday at La Cigogne (3)

That’s it for today!

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment